Pobal is calling on community groups around the country to avail of supports for personal alarms for the elderly under the Seniors Alert Scheme (SAS). The move follows recent criticism of Pobal’s €800,000 underspend in the scheme’s 2016 budget.
Pobal funds monitored personal alarm units for over 65’s under the Seniors Alert Scheme on behalf of the Department of Rural and Community Development. The scheme is administered locally by community and voluntary groups.
Acknowledging calls for measures to promote greater awareness of the scheme, Minister Michael Ring, TD, Minister for Rural and Community Development said “a recent independent study of the scheme recognised that it has made – and continues to make – a positive contribution to the security and well-being of many thousands of older people throughout the country. That being said, I have instructed my officials to examine how the new scheme can be better promoted so as to achieve greater levels of awareness among its target audience when it is launched”.
Also speaking about the scheme, Richard Deane of Pobal said “The Seniors Alert Scheme is a fantastic initiative as it enables people with limited means to remain living securely in their homes with confidence, independence and peace of mind. Alarms, which are monitored 24 hours, can be worn as a pendant or around the wrist like a watch, ensuring assistance is always available no matter where the person is in their house. I would encourage all those with older family members or neighbours who are living on their own to contact their local community group to learn more about the Scheme.”
Mr Deane also stated that Pobal were always keen to hear from new community groups that may be interested in delivering the scheme in their local area.
A new iteration of the Seniors Alert Scheme is due to be launched imminently.
- Kilkenny People – Kilkenny groups can avail of vital supports for older people
- The Clare Champion – Putting seniors on the alert
- Dundalk Democrat – Call for Louth Community groups to avail of supports for older persons
- Radio Kerry – Kerry had highest increase in people taking part in Seniors Alert Scheme
- RTE – Govt urged to promote undersubscribed personal alarm scheme for elderly
- Independent.ie – Calls to ring-fence funds that keep rural elderly safe
- Fianna Fáil – Govt must promote personal alert scheme for older people
- Telecare.ie – Seniors Alert Scheme “Under-subscribed”